Here are ten ways to create or find the tabletop mini that best represents your character.
Hero Forge is a great place to create Tabletop Minis for your D&D, Pathfinder, or Tabletop RPG (TTRPG) character. Sometimes though, they may not be just what you were looking for. Whether you use Hero Forge or an alternative, IRL GAMES can print out your 3D MINIs. Here are ten alternatives to create or find tabletop miniatures that will be awesome for your next tabletop adventure.
- WizKids: WizKids creates premium painted, unpainted, and collectable D&D and Pathfinder miniatures, terrain, and accessories that are the bar for all tabletop minis. IRL Game Shop carries a full line of Wizkids in our store and online. Yes, we know they are not 3D printed, but for most D&D and Pathfinder players WizKids miniatures has what you need. Looking for something specific? Call or contact us and we will help you find it.
- TitanCraft: Previously known as Desktop Hero. TitanCraft has continued to evolve and add feature and functionality. TitanCraft Offers a highly detailed and powerful 3D Character platform, reasonable pricing, character and theme packs, and the ability to attach anything to anywhere. In addition, you can pose anything and have multiple characters in your scene. They also have a good selection of non-humanoids. You pay per STL you download.
- Hero Forge: Isn’t this an alternative list!? But perhaps the best alternative to Hero Forge is Hero Forge. Hero Forge continues to be updated and Hero Forge 2.0 recently was kickstarted and they continue to add features and functions. It is still a pay per STL file download.
Eldritch Foundry: Good pricing and unique options and components make this a good alternative to Hero Forge. Cost is about $5 USD per STL
- Hero Mini Maker: Hero Mini Maker is an app you install on your PC and is available on STEAM. It is a little more DIY than other platforms, but it is a good alternative, and they continue to add features an function. Since you download it on your PC, you can export as many STLs as you like. This is a good choice especially if you do not want to pay per model.
- ANVL.Co: Easy to use but a little limited compared to other platforms. Don’t miss this one though, they have good models bases, items, and they offer pre-curated collections of models. Cost per STL is under $5 currently.
- Patreon: While not a “self-design” competitor to Hero Forge, Patreon is host to a number of very talented artists who make amazing models that are ready to print. You can find artists of all skill levels and talent – from amazing to out of this world. Often they require a tiered monthly subscription, but many are very reasonable at only a few dollars per month – and you can cancel anytime. Some do offer pay per model options. It is definitely worth a look. Here is a search that might help.
- GamBody: Gambody is a premium STL marketplace for 3D printed where you can buy and sell STL files of all types of game and comic book models. Models have a wide range of prices and are High-poly, amazingly detailed and stunning. The 3D models files optimized for all types of 3D printers. Currently there was little choice for TTRPG specific models, but don’t overlook this site, as there are many stunning models.
- Thingiverse, Cults3D, Yeggi: I am grouping the free STL marketplaces together. Thingiverse, Cults3D, and Yeggi are just a few places where you can find free and low-cost models. While chock full of choice, quality can be varied. All these sites are perfect for browsing and searching. While you can find amazing and beautiful models hidden in these sites, often that is the exception. Still worth the visit.
- Tinkercad: Last, but not least, is one of our favorites for all things 3D Printing Design. Tinkercad is one of the easiest online 3D CAD design tools. Its interface is simple but don’t underestimate it. In a few minutes, you can create something that is printable. While intricate modeling of a character would be difficult here, it is a good place to start if you want to roll your own. Tinkercad is also a great place to design and create 3D Printed terrain and accessories. You can start from scratch, import, and “Tinker” to your heart's content. When your ready just export for 3D printing.
Whether it's an off the shelf WhizKid model, an artist commissioned masterpiece, or a one of kind creation from the many mini creators platforms using minis during your tabletop adventures adds a whole new dimension to bringing your adventures to life. If you decided to design your own mini, lets us at IRL Games print it for you.